Drinkazine Mugicha (Barley Tea)

This is a fresh attempt in the boring FMCG market. It's a range of Mugicha. Ready-to-drink Mugicha may not be the newest product but the way it is marketed is quite new. At the beginning, just by looking at this ad, I thought it was just another consumer promotion. Then I visited its blog and I found out more. The brand name of this Mugicha is "DrinkaZine". The idea :

"It Is A Drinkable Magazine!
以雜誌形式包裝,既是一支『解悶的飲料』,又是一本『解渴的雜誌』。"

The labels are like magazines where you can drink and read at the same time. It's definitely a creative idea. My only worry is that if the product doesn't sell fast, its labels and hence the magazine contents can't be changed frequently enough to deliver the promise as a magazine. And I guess that's why it has a blog as the core communications channel. Its blog is pretty good as it carries relevant contents, projects an brand attitude and creates a community, all of which young consumers can associate with.

I bet this business is run by a group of young entrepreneurs. It's not going to be easy to compete in the FMCG market that is dominated by the big guys. Let's show our support : BUY DrinkaZine and GIVE it a try !

Comments

Anonymous said…
You are right! We are young!

It is very supportive to have your appreciation!

We will go on!
Louis Lau said…
Keep it up. I have already put your DrinkaZine blog link in my bolg.
Anonymous said…
I am studying marketing. But I want to know how's the can this kind of online marketing run? Seems using blog is a little bit weak.
Anonymous said…
I put your blog link in our blog too.

And, I added your site RSS in my feed reader to keep catching your excellent post!
Louis Lau said…
I wouldn't say it's weak. I'd rather consider a marketing communication tool in terms of width and depth. Advertising can achieve width (wide reach). Blog marketing can achieve depth (consunmer involvement). If we have enough money, we can spend to achieve both width and depth with an optimal marketing communications mix. But if you don't, would you spend it on advertising for width or other marketing communications for depth ?
Louis Lau said…
SC, thanks for support.
Unknown said…
I don't want critic, but I think the name of "blog野比賽" definitely causing mass of complaint.

(of course it will also be creating noise of your brand)
Louis Lau said…
Yup. You may say the double meaning of blog野 is no good. But it may appeal to the younger generation and it's their language. Like on CR2, there is a jingle continuously singing "what the hell, what the hell ...". If it were 10 years ago, there would be load of complaints.
Anonymous said…
I also agree blog can achieve both width and depth.

Blog has been very popular recently among teens, when you target market is teens, it's a tool you can consider to reach them.

Also, blog enables interaction if the blog is successful, you can even create an online community like here, Canon did a very good photo blog to gather photographers, adidas also has a blog to create an impossible is nothing sharing. Not every brand can do this, very much depends on the target and marketing objectives.
Louis Lau said…
After all, blog is only one of the many marcom tools. Everything has it strengths and weaknesses. If we have the the budget like Adidas and Canon do, we can always achieve both width and depth with a mix of different tools. Blog alone can only achieve depth. The Canon blog wouldn't be that successful if it weren't not supported by advertising.

Popular posts from this blog

PUMA Agitation watch

Giordano's frog

Benefiber ad