
Just can't help talking more about this campaign. The more I watch the TVC, the more I feel the idea shouldn't be executed with advertising. There are real people and real stories, I suppose but they still give me the feeling of fake. Advertising lacks credibility. I can't help asking these question as a consumer : if there is a director, these people must have been directed to act in some way. The other name of advertising is "commercial". What motivated them to share their stories to the public ? I visited the let it out site where you can share your touching stories and photos to win a prize. I doubt there will be real or made-up stories for winning the prize. I think this campaign does have an idea but advertising as the vehicle is not working well for it. Other softer selling tools could be better, like product placement, program sponsorship, PR and so on.
Comments
I've read your previous post and I agree that Kleenex can be replaced by any other tissue brand, and the ad would still work the same way
However, it doesn't mean Kleenex is not unique.. the ad here gives the brand a warm, human touch. If you try to add a 'functional' tagline like "We give you strength", the whole TVC becomes hard-sell and loses its emotional appeal.
You're right about the website- the share-your-story-to-win concept is cheesy and fake - that's exactly why you shouldn't be too greedy, and keep the campaign 'emotional'
I understand your doubt about the realness of the people and their stories -- but isn't it sad if we're all so realistic, that Kleenex wouldn't even bother to *move* us? (In fact, the ad is quite popular in US and UK, due to the good choice of theme song)
Finally, I think the TVC can be more upbeat as HK people are not so patient. But I do think TVC is a great platform for the Let It Out concept.
Just my feelings
Look forward to your response and I really like your blog!